Based on Cabinet Minister Chan Chun Sing’s logic:
“I am not related to Mr. Lee’s family. . .my surname is Chan and my wife’s surname is Low.”
Thanks to several readers and netizens for contributing to this post.
If anyone has additional info, please contact me to verify the data so that readers can stay informed. Thank you :)
PART 1: PAP Chairman KHAW BOON WAN on Politicians
PART 2: NETIZENS on Chan Chun Sing’s BACKGROUND
a) “Ascertaining his relationship is important as it also ascertains meritocracy or nepotism.”
(– Alvin Ong)
b) “According to CCS: my surname is Chan, my wife surname is Low, how are we related to Lee? So he wants to say only Lee’s can be related to Lee? Funny…”
(– Nelson Chan)
c) “CCS became full minister in a short span of time without any significant accomplishment. I wonder why.”
(– Bruce Wee)
PART 3: VERIFICATION + ADDITIONAL INFO
1. CHAN CHUN SING: “I’m Not Related to Mr. Lee”
In 2011, a netizen posted a screenshot on a forum, which showed Chan Chun Sing standing behind members of Lee Kuan Yew’s family at the funeral of Mr. Lee’s wife, Kwa Geok Choo.
As to whether he is related to LKY, Chan Chun Sing said:
“I was at the funeral because the Army, under my charge then, was assigned the task of honouring the late Madam Kwa with the ceremonial gun carriage procession. . .My surname is Chan and my wife’s surname is Low. I don’t have any close relatives with the surname Lee as far as I know.”
- Reader’s Comment: If Chan Chun Sing was at Kwa Geok Choo’s funeral in the “official capacity as the Chief of Army,” technically he should be dressed in formal military attire. Even then, he should be with other guests or military personnel.
This ST article (20 August 1988) mentions Chan Chun Sing’s mother’s and sister’s names:
- Mother: Kwong Kait Fong
- Sister: Chan Siew Yin
His father’s name has not been mentioned.
The above two images are most likely of Chan Chun Sing’s wife, whose surname is Low. Her first name has not been mentioned.
2. MONICA LEE = Spouse of GEORGE CHAN CHOR CHEUNG
Chan Wing made his fortune in 1897 at age 24 with the opening of Hong Fatt Tin Mine. He had more than 20 children and was the richest person in Kuala Lumpur up to 1941. Chan Wing and 15 family members studied in Cambridge University (LKY’s alma mater). He had residences in Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. He passed away in 1947.
George Chan Chor Cheung passed away in October 2012. He is said by family members to have “never said a bad word about anyone.”
- Reader Tip: The marriage record of George Chan Chor Cheung and Monica Lee Kim Mon can be retrieved from the Singapore Registry of Marriages for the month of October 1951.
3. HO CHING’S MOTHER = CHAN Chiew Ping
Ho Ching’s mother’s name is Chan Chiew Ping. She was from Taiping, Malaysia.
4. CHAN SIBLINGS + Mary SEET-CHENG (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Alan Chan was Deputy Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Chan Heng Chee is Ambassador-at-Large for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Chan Heng Wing is a senior advisor in Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Mary Seet-Cheng is a Senior Specialist Adviser at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She is married to Leonard Cheng Tye Loke, and has the same first and last name as Lee Kuan Yew’s aunt (Mary Seet nee Chua Swee Neo).
There is a “Leonard Cheng Tye Loke” listed in ICIJ’s Offshore Banking database.
4. SEET LI LIN and JHO LOW from 1MDB
- Reader Tip: Please note this important fact. LKY’s mother’s sister married a SEET whose family has many siblings. One of them, SEET LI LIN, has become NOTORIOUS because he is the right hand man of Malaysia’s Jho Low and the 1MDB Scandal. This has appeared even in the US media. Seet is the son of one of the siblings related to Arthur Seet Keong Hoe (son of Seet Cheng Kang, who married Lee Kuan Yew’s aunt).
It is interesting that this “Seet Li Lin” has not been mentioned in local media such as The Straits Times.
From Seet Li Lin’s Facebook:
The PAP Manifesto reminds me of my best pieces of work in college: loads of nice pics, big on fluff, a light touch on content, says a lot yet very little, somewhat convincing but actually confusing. Most important of all, we always get away with it by gaming the system.
— Seet Li Lin, 21 April 2011
UPDATE (7 Sept 2015): According to Sarawak Report, Jho Low’s father, Larry Low Hock Peng, is on the list of frozen Swiss bank accounts.
A quick summary of names in Jho Low’s family:
- Grandfather = Low Meng Tak
- Father = Low Hock Peng, Larry
- Son #1 = Jho Low
- Son #2 = Szen Low
5. NG SIBLINGS (Parents and Spouses)
Ng Chee Khern was Chief of Air Force from 2006 – 2009. Ng Chee Peng was Chief of Navy from 2011 – 2014, and was appointed the CEO of CPF in Jan 2015. Former defence chief, Ng Chee Meng, has been touted as a potential office-bearer.
Ng Chee Peng’s wife is Valerie Low Yin Lee, who shares the same surname as the wife of Chan Chun Sing. Ng Chee Meng’s wife is Datin Michelle Lim Bee Leng. Ng Chee Khern’s wife is Elaine Ng, CEO of National Library Board.
Ng Ban Hin and Lee Hang Foe are the parents of the Ng siblings. A photo of them is available on Page 9 in this PDF document.
6. IVY LIM and NG ENG HEN
Ivy Lim Swee Lian has the same first name and last name as Ivy Lim Seok Cheng, sister-in-law of Kwa Geok Choo (Mrs. Lee Kuan Yew). Ivy Lim Seok Cheng’s father was Lim Chong Pang, whose father-in-law was Lee Choon Guan.
Lee Choon Guan co-founded the Chinese Commercial Bank in 1912. In 1932, the Chinese Commercial Bank and the Ho Hong Bank (founded by Lim Peng Siang) merged with the Overseas-Chinese Bank to form the Overseas-Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC Bank).
- Reader Tip: A forum poster said the Chinese newspapers mentioned Ng Eng Hen as “the nephew” of Ng Teng Fong. Does anyone have a newspaper clipping?
6. NG TENG FONG and ROBERT NG
The late Mr. Ng Teng Fong (founder of Far East Organization) was billed as Singapore’s richest man by Forbes magazine in September 2009.
Robert Ng Chee Siong is the son of Ng Teng Fong. Robert Ng is a board member of Temasek and is married to Yeoh Saw Kheng (楊素瓊), the third daughter of Dr. Yeoh Ghim Seng, the former Speaker of Parliament of Singapore (Source: CapitalProfile PDF).
7. LOW YEN LING
Could she be related to the spouses of Chan Chun Sing and Ng Chee Meng?
Filed under: Family Tree, History, Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore Politics Tagged: 1MDB, chan chun sing, cronyism, family tree, Lee Kuan Yew, meritocracy, nepotism, PAP, politics, relatives, seet li lin, singapore