Political Miscalculation of the Day
So the cat is out of the bag, there will be no contest for the Presidential "Elections" because by the latest straw poll, PAP won't have the confidence of having Halimah winning the PE!
CCS has said that PAP "is prepared to pay the political price" but we all know all PAP cares is winning by all means, never to lose an election, especially the Presidential Elections whereby the one who is not endorsed by them may give them trouble and headache like what OTC had done to them!
The so call "short term political price" is merely the price of negative public opinion in the short term which may be overcome by giving goodies when GE comes!
This sudden groundswell against PAP's Reserved Presidential Elections strategy is totally unexpected turn of event for PAP. Instead of talking about how good the Reserved Presidential Elections is, people are instead debating on "spoiling the vote" vs "vote against PAP, anyone but Halimah"! This debate has taken over the public discourse and it will only snowball and cannibalizes on the support of PAP Halimah.
Although both sides of the camps are against each other and even evolves into calling each other PAP moles, BUT it has unexpected impact on the quiet majority middle ground swing voters. Both sides have a common belief that this RPE is BAD although we just have different approaches towards showing our unhappiness against it.
This unhappiness is contagious and has started to spread like wild fire. Our reasoning against REP is the same, it is against our Core value of Meritocracy and Racial Equality. The pathetic attempt by PAP Ministers to explain and justify their RPE has failed miserably to impress lest convince Singaporeans because their arguments are full of loopholes based on false premises or even untruthful "facts"!
PAP is pressing the panic button and making calculations on the least damaging options now. No matter what option it is, they are not prepared to lose the seemingly unimportant post of Electec Presidency but in actual fact, it is a small dagger hanging over their heads.
Thus, the only logical conclusion is, there shall not be a contest, at all cost... this cost is cheaper of having a non-conforming President sitting on their heads.
Goh Meng Seng
- Jim Rogers banned from investing in North Korea
- Death penalty to be replaced with 30 years’ imprisonment should it be abolished, says Malaysian Minister
- Driver arrested for attempting to smuggle a man out of Singapore illegally
- NTUC removing fish from the menu does not gel with wanting to keep food costs down for the consumer
- Temasek pays US$250m for 3-yr-old Israeli cybersecurity firm when original investor only put in US$4.3m
- Chart of the Day: Taxi licence holders on the rise after Grab-Uber merger
- The challenges Singapore entrepreneurs face, and what it takes to succeed